The tornado that made its way through Manhattan just missed our house, thankfully. It is truly heartbreaking how many families have lost their homes and belongings. The damage is devastating. We were very lucky to have our home intact, being less than a mile from the path of the tornado. Unfortunately, in addition to the homes and businesses, a hundred or so storage sheds were destroyed - ours being one of them. We spent several hours searching through the area, into the creek bed, but were only able to locate a few small items. No sign of the kids' beds, or any of the 50 or so rubbermaid storage containers that were inside. I was really overcome by the sight of Ashton's baby sleeper hanging from a tree. I'm sure we've lost things we haven't even thought of yet. We are especially discouraged since the majority of my mother's furniture and cherished belongings had been temporarily stored in that shed while she was living with us. It is very much as though her house were destroyed.
These are all pictures that I took of the Amherst storage sheds. They show the area where our storage shed used to be, and what was left in its place.





Google map of tornado path through Manhattan:
http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/DocumentView.asp?DID=4547
This photograph was in one of the news stories I came across. I believe it said it is the actual tornado that went through Manhattan, but I can't find the story to verify again. I'll update if I find it.
Waters True Value - leveled:

Please keep the residents of Manhattan in your prayers
2 comments:
That's the saddest thing I have ever seen. It's got me crying all over again. :((
Hi Cassie - I found your blog by accident (looking for posts about the tornado)...and I kept looking at this and wondering...why does the name sound so familiar...and why does Kristin look so familiar. DUH.
I'm horrid, I know! I figured out who you were when I saw the back yard. I'll have to get your email and send you some of the pictures I took at the "year end" bash. It really was fun.
And I'm sure you know by now, but that picture wasn't actually of Manhattan, though it is a totally awesome picture. Ned Seaton debunked that in the Mercury not too long ago. I'll be bookmarking your blog for regular reading!
Post a Comment